How to Tell Your Family You’re Using Donor Eggs
Learn how to tell your family you’re using donor eggs
The team at our frozen egg bank network understands how challenging it can be to tell your family you’re using donor eggs. Because sharing this information often leads to a great amount of relief, we would like to support you in creating a plan for making this special announcement.
How to tell your family you’re using donor eggs
While there is no right or wrong way to share your reproductive decisions with your family, the team at our frozen egg bank network offers these suggestions to help make the process easier.
- Decide who you would like to tell. With your partner, create a list of the family members and friends you would like to share this information with. Remember, you are not obligated to tell everyone, and it is your right to only tell the individuals you feel will be supportive.
- Tell them in your own time. Know that you can tell your family you’re using donor eggs whenever you feel the time is right. Some hopeful parents choose to tell their family about their decision to use donor eggs before they’ve even selected the donor, while others wait until they’ve conceived. Choose the time that works best for you.
- Take notes on what you want to share. It can be easy to forget what information you do and do not want to convey when you tell your family you’re using donor eggs. Write down the key pieces of information you want to share, while also making a note of any specifics you would like to keep to yourself. This forethought will ensure you go into these conversations with a plan, and a greater sense of calm.
- Be clear that this is a decision you’ve already made. It’s important that your family members understand that you’re not asking them for advice or permission regarding your decision to use donor eggs. Make it clear that this is a decision you’ve already made and want to share with them because it’s an exciting part of your life.
- Request their discretion. When you tell your family you’re using donor eggs, remind them that this is information you would like them to keep to themselves, especially if you’re telling some family members and not others. Ask for their discretion and remind them that they can come to you if they have any questions.
The caring staff at our frozen egg bank network is here to help if you need any support during this process.
Begin your journey to parenthood
If you’ve decided you would like to use donor eggs, but are still searching for the ideal donor, we can help. We have diverse and carefully screened donor eggs in our frozen egg bank network that can help you take the next step towards taking home a healthy baby.
Contact us for more information about our egg donor program.
| Egg Donor Cryobank