How to Tell Your Child About Egg Donation
Discovering how to tell your child about egg donation
Our frozen egg bank network wants to offer helpful ideas for how to tell your child about egg donation. As the number of women utilizing donor eggs continues to rise, more parents wonder how to share their special journey of conception with their child. Luckily, there are many ways to make this potentially challenging conversation easier on both parent and child.
How to tell your child about egg donation
With enough forethought, telling a child that they were conceived with help from an egg donor can be a positive experience for all involved.
- Select a good time for the conversation. When deciding how to tell your child about egg donation, choose a day that will allow plenty of time for discussion.
- Prepare your child with books. Reading children’s books about egg donation can help your child begin to wrap their mind around egg donation, and normalize the idea, before you share their conception story.
- Plan what information you’ll share. If you and your partner will be sharing this information together, discuss ahead of time what you will tell your child, and who will share what information. This will help ensure the information is conveyed in a clear manner.
- Take it slow and be open to all questions. As you work through how to tell your child about egg donation, resist the urge to rush the conversation. Understand that it may take time, and many questions, for your child to comprehend what you’re telling them.
- Be supportive of all emotions. Children may express anger, confusion, joy or any other variety of emotions as they take in this information. Allow them the freedom to move through whatever they’re feeling.
- Discuss what family means to you. Something to consider as you decide how to tell your child about egg donation is that your child might express concern that you are somehow less of a family. Ease their mind by reminding them that families come in all forms, and that love is what makes you a family, not DNA.
As you prepare for this important conversation, our frozen egg bank network wants you to remember that your family bond will likely strengthen as you show your child what an honest, safe and loving presence you are in their life.
We’re here to help
If you have any questions or concerns about how to tell your child about egg donation, the compassionate staff at our frozen egg bank network is here to offer support and tools for working through this milestone.
Contact us for more information about how to tell your child about egg donation.
| Egg Donor Cryobank